Sunday, August 14, 2011

Oh yeah, thats right, I can KNIT

One evening a couple of weeks ago, I suddenly thought "I want to KNIT".  However, I didn't know how, nor have any knitting needles or wool (I think you call it yarn in the USA).
So I put the idea out of my head, but the universe had other ideas and the next day whilst I was visiting Grandma, she started talking about knitting.  As it turns out, she can no longer knit much due to arthritis, and has a veritable treasure of knitting paraphernalia, and I was allowed it all!
Just not yet.

I was required to prove myself first, and was sent away with one pair of knitting needles, and a few scraps of old wool.  That evening I taught myself to cast on, using trusty old youtube.  Then I taught myself how to knit.
I knitted a few rows, went back to see Grandma, was given a knitting needle upgrade, and some more wool.

First  I decided to knit a scarf.  But it got kind of boring as my row was so wide.  So I decided to sew it into a tube, and turn it into a neck warmer:
So the reason one end is narrower than the other is because I changed to the
new bigger knitting needles after the first row.  This is my piece of knitting before I darned in the  loose wool.

With the ends all darned in


with the ends sewed together, into a tube, folded in half.  this gets pulled over the had to become
a 'neck warmer'
Since completing my neck warmer, I have decided that I will turn it into a hat, and I am now knitting a proper scarf (much narrower!), and it is a race - what will happen first, will this storm hit, or will I finish the scarf in time for my son to wear it in the snow!

Off to see Grandma again in a couple of days...hopefully I will be allowed the 'good wool'.  And I happened to notice a couple of crochet hooks, so might give that a go too.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh clever Hilary! I was thinking hottie cover when I saw the intial shape, but whatever it end up as gotta love those stripes x

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments: